Seared Tuna with Wasabi Citrus Aioli
serves approx. 4
- 2 packages of line-caught albacore tuna medallions or 1 albacore tuna loin
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee (ghee is made from simmering butter and removing liquid residue)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- toasted sesame seed oil (for brushing on after cooking)
For Serving (optional):
- red pepper flakes
- sweet red peppers
- scallions, thinly sliced
- lettuce, micro greens or whatever fresh greens of your choice
Wasabi Citrus Aioli:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared wasabi paste (more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime and/or lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
Make the aioli, first. In a blender add all of the aioli ingredients, and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also add to a small bowl and whisk well to combine. Set aside.
Preheat a well-seasoned cast iron grill pan or regular cast iron skillet over a high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the melted ghee.
Pat dry the tuna (if using a loin, cut into medallions). Lightly coat each medallion with a very thin layer of melted ghee. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
Sear the seasoned albacore medallions in the preheated pan, 1 minute on the top and then 1 minute on the bottom (2 minutes if you want it less rare). Remove from the pan, and brush with a small amount of toasted sesame seed oil, season to taste, with sea salt and black pepper serve with the wasabi citrus aioli, fresh scallions, a pinch of red pepper flakes and if you’d like fresh lime juice or a little soy sauce. Slice crosswise into 1/3″ slices with a very sharp (serrated works well) knife.
This recipe comes from Beth at Tasty Yummies. See here for the original Tasty Yummies recipe.