Note from Shauna: “My two boys learned to love fish, especially salmon, when we took a family cruise a few years ago. We’d eat it out on the deck, smothered in tropical fruit salsas, sandwiched in spicy quesadillas, or simply grilled with a squeeze of lime juice. It just felt festive and decadent, yet simple and nourishing. Since then, they always get excited when salmon’s on the weeknight dinner menu. It can perk us all up on a drab or busy weeknight and serves as a hearty, nutritious meal that I can put in front of my family in minutes. I can’t imagine Alaska Gold Salmon not being a part of our weeknight routine. I feel good knowing my children had a healthy meal at the end of a busy day.”
Makes 6 flautas
1 one pound package Alaska Gold Easy Salmon
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 Cup Mexican crema, divided
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 limes
1/2 Cup canola oil for frying
6 ten inch flour tortillas
1 Cup fresh cilantro
5 cloves fresh garlic
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the salmon with the olive oil. Sprinkle with one tsp salt, pepper, and the cumin. Bake on a parchment lined sheet pan for 10 minutes. Let the salmon cool slightly.
- Place salmon into a medium bowl. Add 1/4 Cup of the crema and the mayonnaise. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 of a lime into the salmon. Mix gently to combine.
- Place the canola oil into a 12 inch skillet. Heat to medium high.
- Place 1/6th of the salmon mixture into the middle of each tortilla in a long, thin line. Fold the tortilla over and roll it tightly to contain the filling.
- Working two at a time, place the flautas into the hot oil, seam side down. Fry one minute per side, just until all sides are golden.
- To prepare the gremolata, place the cilantro, remaining tsp salt, garlic, and the jalapeno half into a food processor. Zest the remaining lime into the bowl of the processor and pulse the mixture until finely chopped.
7. Cut each flauta on the bias. Place them on a platter and top with the remaining 1/4 Cup crema and the gremolata. Serve and enjoy